Monday 13 August 2012

I Don't Want To Know!



I grew up on an island, and I truly thought I was ready for the adjustment that drives so many who come to Africa downright bonkers.  I mean, on an island the pace of life is slow, things are very laid back.  Things get done at a more leisurely pace.

I thought I could handle it.  I thought so wrong.  And since my boxing equipment has not yet been delivered (it was supposed to be here a month ago and will not be here for another 5 weeks - but probably even longer), I have nothing to hit to make myself feel better.

Let's use another example - say, for instance, our internet installation.  It was supposed to be done one day, but they couldn't get to it that day so it was scheduled for the next day at 9 am.  At around 3:30 the installers showed up.  They could not finish that same day, so they were to come back the next day at 9 am.  I think 9 am is code for 3:30 pm, because that's about when they got here again.  Yet again they could not finish, and yet again they were to get here at 9 am.  They actually got here at noon the next day.  But it was time for lunch.

You see where I'm going here, right?  Maddening.  I am learning to adjust to this different sort of thinking in regards to time.  I just think of everything as a surprise.  The water delivery guy is here before 2 pm on an 8 am appointment?  What a wonderful surprise!  Oh happy day!  

But I do have internet now, so I can post again, and I can post pictures!  I had been burning through my 3G data plan on my iPad like crystal meth in a trailer park, so it's nice to be able to post without worrying about that.

I spoke to our doctor friend again last night.  It's always such a mixed bag to hear him talk about his work.  On the one hand, you cannot help but have such pride in someone like that - he works without days off and figures out how to fix problems in situations that would have many Western doctors, who rely so heavily on machines and technology, throwing up their hands in frustration and despair.  Here, doctors are innovators out of necessity - they absolutely have to be.

I read this article earlier about the plight of doctors here, and the choices they make (whether to go or stay).  I think the title is stupid, but that's the copy editor's fault.  The information in the article is illuminating.

I wanted to tell Desai what it would be like to practice in his old hospital, so I observed Makasa and a colleague fix a man’s broken leg. In the operating theater, there was a dirty-looking scalpel blade on the floor. The assisting staff ambled in late, causing the operation to start 30 minutes behind schedule. The air-conditioner was broken. A nurse took two personal cellphone calls in the operating room. When it came time for the surgeon to drill holes in the patient’s bones, a nurse produced a case containing a Bosch power drill. By way of sterilization, she wrapped it in a green cloth, binding it tight with a strip of muslin.

The cell phone calls during surgery was what got me.

I can understand the frustration of doctors here, as well.  Last night we heard a story about a pregnant woman who presented with a bleeding issue.  It is now standard to HIV test anyone who comes in, and when it came time to give her the results of her test she refused to hear.  "I don't want to know!" she said over and over again, very insistent that no one tell her.

She was HIV positive.  

Being a doctor here is not a safe job - not with the HIV infection rate here.  And it's not a mentally safe job, either.  So often, instead of healing you are watching people die.  That is not what doctors train for - to watch people die.  It is the antithesis of what they do.  

And to stay here, to continue to practice here, they must have a calling to make a difference.  A doctor here will not get rich.  As the NYT article states - $24,000 a year is not rolling in dough.  The doctor stays out of a sense of obligation to the greater good.   

 I'm thinking the greater good would be better served if nurses didn't take cell phone calls during surgery, however.  I'm just not sure how you convince people of that.   

3 comments:

  1. A different part of the world, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mulibwange GotS,
    Aiee, but your blog makes me homesick for the country which I call my home!
    Luanshya is my home town, my Mother (all of 90 years of age) still lives there, my Father's ashes we placed in the Kafue River near his favourite fishing spot. Kafue bream are the best tasting fish in the world and he caught many.
    My wife and I, though of European stock (mzungus), are both Zambians at heart; my wife was born in Mwinilunga in 1949 where her Father was the District Commissioner. I grew up in Luanshya from 1958 but left in 1972 to seek employment overseas. I ended up in Hong Kong for 28 years!
    Your blog, though sparse, is of abiding interest to me as I have had to explain 'Africa' to numerous new residents. It is a fascinating continent and Zambia is probably the best country on the continent.
    Enjoy your time there, it will be magical.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ndili bwino, Steve! Zakomo!

    I'm glad my blog brings back good memories for you - I can certainly see why you would remember Zambia as a magical place. We do feel very lucky to be here!

    And how fascinating your stories must be! We ran into a woman who grew up here in the fifties and sixties, moved, and came back about 20 years ago - it was a joy to talk to her and hear about her experiences. It must have been like growing up in paradise.

    And if your mother has an inside line on where to buy good cheese, I'd really love to hear it. :)

    ReplyDelete